Sunday, October 17, 2010

HIgh on the Himalayas

As part of our celebration of India, Radha and I have decided to feature the perspectives of some of the people with us on our journey. We met this amazing woman not long after moving to Vancouver, and over the past two years she has become a trusted friend, a valued colleague, and a frequent visitor to our home.


High on the Himalayas
- by Allanah Mooney

Today a holy man put red paste on my forehead. I left an offering at a temple in the woods of Northern India– just a few rupees for Ganesha, and then rang the bell on the way out.


holy man in Manali

At the temple, we were rock stars. Blue eyed, curly blonde haired people from the West. We made friends with people from Calcutta, and we will be in their holiday pictures and us in theirs.


on the count of three, everyone say "paneer"!

A taxi driver told us, “Canada is very good. You have no enemies.” – I felt proud and realized that I am a Canadian Ambassador and must keep this goodwill going. So I now carry chocolate to offer the children we photograph, and rupees to tip our drivers and service people, and biscuits to feed hungry street dogs, and I will be sure to give thanks and a smile wherever I go. I do not want to make any enemies for Canada!


Allanah children in Manali

We went to the Tibetan Market, and with Gary acting as my bargaining agent, I bought a statue of Durga. I decided she is the God of my business (Lionheart Communications) – and that she could bless us and keep us on the right path at the office. Durga is the embodiment of creative feminine force – plus she never loses her sense of humor, even during spiritual battles of epic proportion. I got this info from Wikipedia, but the shopkeeper provided some important additional details: Turns outs that Durga can help with sex – or more specifically she tackles any troubles you may have with Venus. You give Durga offerings on Friday – white flowers, and then she can bless your house of love.

So we left the market with Durga tucked in her pink wrap under my arm and headed back through the shops towards our car and driver. Then, we happened upon a festival – guess what festival? Durga Puja Festival of course! Fan-fricking-tastic! It was exhilarating – so many colors and beating drums and dances, and purple chalk flying around. Joyous madness - all for the love of Durga.


Allanah standing in front of Durga

I got water thrown on me from another holy man and more red paste for my forehead. Gary got me a red ribbon blessing that I tied on the big Durga and one for the small Durga. They carried the Durga through the streets triumphant in her Goddess glory. I was carried back to our hotel on a Himalayan High that I will never forget.

for more on Allanah Mooney and Lionheart Communications: click here

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! You are bringing back fond memories of my 23 years in India. . .seeing through your eyes anew. Love to you and everyone around you, Soorya

    ReplyDelete