Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Twilight Zone


Last night Radha and I went out to eat at East is East, one of our favorite restaurants in Vancouver, which fuses Afghani and East Indian cuisine. We shared a scrumptious dahl soup, a plate of Thai tofu with peppers cooked in a creamy sauce, and saag paneer, with a side of rice and a chapatti. It was delicious, and the staff is fabulous, possessing a remarkable ability to make authentic contact each and every time we dine there.

After our server placed two small complimentary cups of chai on the table, I remarked to Radha, “I feel like I know that girl.”

“You felt it too?” she replied.

“Yeah, I can’t get over this town - I feel like I already know every other person on the street.”

“It’s the strangest thing," she agreed. "I keep getting a steady stream of déjà vu in this city.”

“That reminds me," I said. "I forgot to tell you about my training session on Monday.”

“What’s happened?”

“Well, I saw a woman walk in while I was warming up, and had the strongest feeling of having seen her before.”

“See, it happens all the time,” Radha said.

“Well, five minutes later she walked right up to me and starting talking to me.”

“Wow.”

“It turns out that she's the director of the Callanish Society."

“Jamie Brown?” she remembered.

“That’s her.”

Radha was surprised. “She recognized you?”

“Not only that," I answered. "She also remembered we taught in Florida and said to send you her love."

She smiled warmly and took a sip of her chai. “"I love that they give emotional support to cancer patients.”

"Don't you just love this town. Everyone treats you like family.’ I thought for a moment. “Remember what Spice told us four years ago?”

"I do," Radha replied. "'Sell your house and get out of Florida as soon as possible!'”

“Good thing we met a psychic realtor,” I said. "The bubble burst almost immediately after she told us that.”

“We were fortunate to avoid the crash," she agreed. "It’s almost like we are living in the twilight zone."

As soon as Radha spoke the words, it was as if we heard Rod Serling speaking in the background, and that strange melody ringing in our ears. We paid for our meal and walked back to our car, glancing into the pubs along the way. Men’s hockey was playing on every television set in town, and the stools were filled with patrons garbed in red shirts, drinking beer and yelling.

Welcome to the the Twilight Zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment