Thursday, March 4, 2010

So what’s in a Name anyway?

In 1972 I was given the name Gopal by my spiritual teacher Swami Satchidananda. His guidance and instructions were invaluable to me. At that time in my life, I was lost, depressed, and without purpose or meaning. I credit his expert knowledge of the ancient science of Raja Yoga (the Royal Path of Meditation) as the single most important event in my life. By participating in these ancient practices, over the years, I slowly became aware of how the mind functions as an instrument of perception. I credit my meditation practice for awakening within me the ability to observer my confused mind and create a healthier relationship with my thoughts and emotions.

One of the methods that has been used in India, as well as may other cultures, is the use of names to denote specific stages of one’s spiritual growth. The name Gary was given to me by my parents, and as my personality developed I identified myself with it. All the positives and negatives that defined me were encapsulated in that name. Gary was a child, an altar boy, an actor, an athlete, a student, a depressed young man, an angry person when he did not get his way, a hard worker, a kind person to those in need, an ROTC cadet, and (very briefly) a second lieutenant in the United States Army. All the good, the bad and the ugly fell under the name- Gary.

After a few months of practicing Yoga, I was so taken by this science of higher consciousness that I moved into the New York City Integral Yoga Institute. It was after deciding to become a full time yogi that my teacher gave me the spiritual name Gopal. The name has more than one meaning, but the definition I identified with was that it represented the playful aspect of consciousness that is simultaneously dedicated to remaining connected to one’s higher power at all costs.

I began to see that inside of me was two people: Gary was the one who lived in the world, and Gopal was the one who focused on serving others and being spiritually aware. It was Gary who got angry, and Gopal who remembered to take a pause, breathe deeply and get back into balance. Gary was tempted to fall into old unhealthy patterns, and Gopal was the loving voice inside that steered me back on course once again.

When I was invited to take the pre-monastic vows by my teacher, I was given the name Brother Gopal Chaitanya. My new name was a constant reminder of my vows of poverty, chastity and obedience to a higher purpose in life. Gary, who became Gopal, was now trumped by a higher power, one that had a new focus in his life - to live in accordance with the divine. Whenever I used my spiritual name or heard it being used by others, I was immediately reminded of my true purpose in life..

And then I took the monastic vows. I fervently made the decision to serve, to love, to meditate and to realize my true immortal blissful nature. The name I was given was Swami Sudhananda. Swami is a Sanskrit word that means to know one’s true Self, sudha means purity, and ananda means bliss. I was a young enthusiastic twenty-five year old ready to live up to every aspect of his name- to know that my true nature was pure bliss!

Words create a distinct reality inside our heads, and the act of naming brings abstract meaning to mere sounds. And, in my early years practicing yoga and meditation, these sounds were powerful enough to consistently turn my attention to a higher purpose, a more universal understanding of the meaning of life. I was in awe of each of my new names. And through it all, Gary represented my worldly persona while Gopal, Brother Gopal and Swami Sudhananda all tuned me into a wiser, less disturbed, more loving me.

When I left the vows in 1976, after an emotional process led by Swami Satchidananda, I was ordained an interfaith minister. And, even though to this day I never use the title reverend, it is nonetheless my official title. That, of course, is a whole nother story.

Radha, reminding me to stay on track

These days I go by two names: Gary is the one who works in the world, serving and struggling with all the issues that are common to our human nature; and Gopal is the playful, spiritual, and often irreverent guy who loves to meditate and focus on the finer things in life. Gopal is the part of me that knows everything in life has purpose and meaning.

Following in the tradition that has guided seekers for the past five thousand years, I also give a spiritual names to students who are struggling with their mind and want to transcend the familiar patterns that so often lead to frustration and dissatisfaction. By giving them a ‘spiritual nickname’, it reminds them that they are always connected to their inner wisdom and higher power. A perfect example of the effectiveness of this tradition can be found in our dear friend Sherry. She is reminded of her greatness each time she hears us call her Vidya, and in hearing that name, she remembers that she is always a channel for wisdom, clarity, kindness, compassion and love.

our friend Vidya

So, it turns out, there is a lot in a name.

No comments:

Post a Comment