Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sweet Relief

I was washing the car last Friday morning when a hose snaking across the driveway decided to test my agility and balance. My ankle, weakened since a 1970 injury in basic training, was not up for the test. Rather than severely damaging my ankle, I immediately tumbled onto the wet driveway and landed on my left hip. Ouch!

Although I saved my ankle, I did notice a wee bit of soreness in my left buttock the next day during the monthly meditation day Radha and I host at our home. Besides the pain in my butt, I also realized I had a sharp pain on the lower right side of my rib cage, especially acute whenever I leaned forward. Thankfully a long meditation at the very beginning of the day allowed me to transcend the discomfort for a coupe of hours.

Upon coming out of the meditation we had an interesting discussion on the group's experience with the exercise I had given them. I had guided them in observing the place in the mind where a thought actually begins, then remaining alert I had them continue to focus on the thought as it traveled across the screen of the mind. Finally, and the most difficult part of the exercise, I instructed them to pay attention to the place (outside of the mind) when the thought ended.

The discomfort in my ribcage remained and I realized that I had to do something immediately to release it. With a half hour remaining before Radha was planning to serve lunch, I instructed everyone to tune into their body in order to discover what hatha yoga poses would be appropriate for their body (and mind). As everyone spread out their yoga mats, I sat on the floor cross legged and practiced deerga swasam (3 part deep yoga breathing).

I felt my spine lengthen upwards with each inhalation, and after about a minute, I knew the muscles alongside my spine were ready for an adjustment. I guided my torso upward using my hands on my thighs, and then I gently lifted my spine twisting to the left. I exhaled through my nose slowly as I moved into position. I paused as I felt the discomfort begin, continued breathing deeply, and waited for the release. Four breaths later I heard the pop, felt the rush of energy moving upward through my torso to the top of my head. Immediately I experienced relief.

I repeated the same process as I twisted in the opposite direction, only this time there was no need for a release. Free of pain I laid on my back preparing for a few minutes of savanasa (the relaxation pose) that allowed my brain to recognize the changes that had just taken place in my spine. After completing our yoga routine we all enjoyed a scrumptious vegetarian feast.

Oh, how thankful I am that hatha yoga is an integral part of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment